Sunday, August 30, 2009

Maps: Heat, Hardiness, Rainfall, Drought

AHS Heat Zone Map

After this brutal summer, I find I am continuing to remind people how long it has been hot here. If the customers are relocated from the Northern lands I commiserate how hot it can be there but it is hot here longer.

Created by American Horticultural Society's map shows the number of days above 86 degrees (F). This link will explain how this map can be helpful in plant selections using heat as a purchasing factor. I will note the data was compiled from National Weather Service data from 1974 to 1995. I think I would have liked to have more data - but this is a good place to start.


USDA Hardiness Zone Map

I must remind our friends here from California that we have 2-3 days of winter that will kill their tropical transplants (unless in a greenhouse or under some protection). It is hotter here and colder here.

Use this National Gardening Association site to look up your location by your zipcode.


Is it suppose to rain here? US Annual Rainfall Map


If you have not seen enough maps... US Drought Monitor.

Smelling the Roses